Monday, June 18, 2012

The First Post!!

Hey everyone,

Figured for the first post I'd throw in the origin story as well as some updates from last weekend and today.






Back in the late 80's and early 90's on the weekends I used to watch the action block on channel 9 (WWOR) here in NYC, which included A-team, Airwolf, and Knight Rider. Each show had an awesome vehicle. A-Team had their van, Airwolf was a futuristic helicopter, and K.I.T.T was a talking car that could drive itself.
K.I.T.T from Knight Rider


Needless to say growing up watching these shows at an early age made me a scifi nut.  However I don't have an airstrip or bay for an Airwolf, so it came down to the A-team van and K.I.T.T.  Suffice to say....K.I.T.T won and probably more on the basis that Knight Rider was a show for both kids and adults. K.I.T.T and Michael Knight (the Hoff) were fighting criminals who operated above the law, and had quite a few episodes with kids in them, either helping out or needing help. Being a kid myself at the time I thought the show was just awesome.



Couple of years back when I graduated college I got my hands on a 1982 Firebird off of eBay, same year, and pretty sure the same model that the original car was based on.


1982 Trans Am
Needless to say I wanted the job done right.  At the time I didn't really have that much time or knowledge to do most of the work. And I trusted some people to do the jobs I either didn't know how to do or just couldn't do.  And that worked well for quite some time. K.I.T.T got an awesome rebuilt LT1 out of a 1994 descendant.

However, the shop owner I trusted in to help me with the rest of the job was. . . Not as trustworthy. And that leads us to today and these adventures.

I got the car back from the shop around April. Just had enough with the dude who obviously didn't know wiring for anything, and that the car got moved so many times that body work had to be done in order to repair dings from God only knows what.

After I got K.I.T.T home I started by documenting everything about the car that I could, since I did not get all that much information about what went into the car from the shop owner once I decided to pull the car out.  He could not even tell me what transmission the car had, or if it had been swapped as well.

After crap loads of pictures and documentation I started to gut the interior.  I finished taking out the old body harness as well as the old HVAC system yesterday. I'll try and get some pics tonight when I can.

Today I emailed Vintage Air and Isis Power about their products. Vintage Air makes awesome HVAC systems, and Isis Power makes a multiplex wiring harness solution ( basically everything is distributed where it's needed and removes that rat's nest that's a traditional wiring harness).
Isis power also has some neat options like iPad and iPhone control, which for K.I.T.T is must have.
Hopefully they can get back to me soon.

Anyways, when I get some time tonight I'll get some pics up of the stuff that I already have.
Old wiring harness AKA The Rat's Nest


Updates:    

  • Got a call from Jay Harris himself from ISIS Power.  Going to have a chat with tomorrow at noon!! 
  • Heres a pic of the old wiring harness I removed yesterday.  What a hot mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment